If the picture doesn't give it away this is my best friend aka my mom Teka. She is so much to me it's hard to put in words how she's influenced my life. Growing up we did not have the best relationship I am the oldest child and the only girl so she was super hard on me (C's were unacceptable, A 4 on the FCAT was unacceptable* ). Even though we were always at odds she always showed me affection and told me how much she loved me.
*For those not from Florida. The FCAT was a standardized test the highest score one could achieve was a 5 and 3 was passing.
This is my grandma Elaine. She was my dad's mother. My grandma was a very special woman and I was her first and only grand child for 10 years. We had an extremely close bond. She was always a listening ear if I was upset, she kept my favorite foods and snacks in its own special cabinet, and she allowed me to lay on her shag rug. My grandma had OCD and no one could even walk on her shag rug but it was my favorite place to read so she let me then made my dad sweep all the fabric the same way.
This is my granddaddy. He has always been there to help me. He helped me paint my rooms and learn to ride bikes. I am 1 of 10 grandchildren but my granddaddy has always been just a call away. Whatever extracurricular activity I participated in he was always there front and center. He didn't miss plays, dance recitals, or graduations.
This is my great grandmother. She was our family's matriarch. While she was loving and always had a smile when I was behaving, she was a strict disciplinarian. She instilled respect and expected the best from me. This is one of the last videos I have of her and one of my favorites. It shows her smile.
This is my maternal grandmother. To her I could do no wrong. Her home was a sanctuary from both of my parents and she would often tell them they could leave her house if they were going to fuss at her grand-babies. My younger brothers were born on Feb 12th so as a child she would buy me gifts on Valentines Day so I wouldn't feel left out. My grandmother was my safe haven. She still makes me Easter baskets filled with my favorite things.
Hi Jae
ReplyDeleteI love the picture with your granddaddy. it is very powerful, you can see how much he means to you. Thank you for sharing
Toni
Hi Jae,
ReplyDeleteI love childhood web, your pictures show the true dynamtics of you and your family. Your picture of you and your mother reminds me of my relationship with mine. Thank you for sharing
samone
Hi Jae,
ReplyDeleteYour Grandma Elaine sounds similar to my Memere. Her diagnosis years ago was different, but she had OCD as well. I remember many quirks that went along with it, but it never interfered with her love for me. Thank you for sharing.
Jill
Hi Jae, i love your pictures of the family...I see the love and respect that you have for them through your words. Grandmothers are always our first friends no matter what you can do no wrong with Grandma! Great read!
ReplyDeleteHi jae,
ReplyDeleteAs I was going through your childhood web, I found it interesting to know about your relationship with your family. You mentioned that “being the oldest child in your family, your mother was hard on you”. I was second in my family, my mother was strict not only to me but to all my siblings. I think it is mothers' love, affection, and care for us that they become hard on us.